"Let there be Rock… All year long!", says a jubilant Wojek Smallsoa, World RPS Society Steering Committee Chair, as he gives his opening address at the official World RPS Society "2002: Year of the Rock" celebration.
As part of the opening day ceremony of the 35th annual World Rock Paper Scissors Conference, the World RPS Society officially declared 2002 to be the “Official Year of the Rock” At a lavish celebration held at Players’ Hall Auditorium in the World RPS Society’s headquarters, Steering Committee Chair Wojek Smallsoa stated during his much anticipated address, “As much as I have personally done for the sport of Rock Paper Scissors we can never forget the contributions of this important throw, and the tremendous effect that it has had upon the game we love”…
The World RPS Society declares 2002 to the be the “Official year of the Rock”
|"Let there be Rock… All year long!", says a jubilant Wojek Smallsoa, World RPS Society Steering Committee Chair, as he gives his opening address at the official World RPS Society "2002: Year of the Rock" celebration.|
As part of the opening day ceremony of the 35th annual World Rock Paper Scissors Conference, the World RPS Society officially declared 2002 to be the “Official Year of the Rock” At a lavish celebration held at Players’ Hall Auditorium in the World RPS Society’s headquarters, Steering Committee Chair Wojek Smallsoa stated during his much anticipated address, “As much as I have personally done for the sport of Rock Paper Scissors we can never forget the contributions of this important throw, and the tremendous effect that it has had upon the game we love”.
|Players Hall as viewed from stage right|
The yearlong celebration, has many activities planned around the World such as:
• February 2002. Ottawa Canada. Ice sculpture Contest. Competitors from around the world will compete in carving fabulous and inspirational “Rock” ice sculptures.
• March 2002. “For the love of Rocks” A charity Gala Ball to take place in London, England in support of “Erosion Preservation Society”. Watch as some of the world’s great chefs prepare fabulous meals for the Steering Committee to dine on. Tables of seven £6000.00. Single tickets available for £1200.00. Open-style buffet and cash bar will be provided to all non-steering Committee attendees.
|Players Hall as viewed from second level|
• April 2002 “Rocks in my Socks” A multi-country competition where children attempt to cram as many rocks as possible into a Size 11 work sock. Sponsored by Fashion Footwear
• May 2002. “Keep on Rock’in the Free World. A “rock” themed symposium dealing with multiple issues on various important topics. Register now space is limited.
• June 2002. The Antwerp Rock Festival. See the biggest collection of rocks and stones ever gathered in one place. Don’t miss this MUST-SEE event.
• July 2002. “Rock-o-Poluzza”. An outstanding collection of some of the world’s greatest “Rock and Roll” bands will converge on 5 stages in this three day festival. Location and bands TBD. Buy your ticket now before it is too late
|The members of the World RPS Society Steering Committee stand at ready prior to Chairman Wojek Smallsoa’s opening address.|
• August 2002 “The Great Rock Roundup” Bangkok Thailand. Competitors from around the world will gather no moss as they race to collect as many rocks as possible in 8 hour period. An extra prize will be awarded for “Most interesting looking rock”
• September 2002 The Gibraltar Stone Throw. Bring your favourite rock and fling it into the Ocean to show your love of all things rock. Enter the “Furthest throw" competition to win fabulous rock themed prizes. A prize will also be awarded for the best decorated rock.
• October 2002, Nepal. The Roco-Challenge. A seven-day “extreme racing series” taking place in the Himalayas where teams of 4 will have to deliver a “cargo” of a 50 pound rocks to the top of K2 Mountain. Full coverage will be broadcast live on the Hand Channel.
• November 2002. The Spirit of the Rock. Take a step back and figure out what is going on inside a rock in this spiritual journey into the mind and earth. Free Camping provided.
• December 2002. Buenos Aries, Argentina. The Parade of Rocks. Forget Carnival, Forget Mardi Gras, this week long festival devoted to all things rock with a full week of street parties planned will climax with the largest ever “rock-themed” parade. Attendees are advised to bring their own currency.
“I have personally been responsible for putting together this incredible selection of events planned all year long throughout the world and I am really looking forward to attending these events where so many different people will get to see me.", states Mr. Smallsoa.
The World RPS Society would like to extend an invitation to all people from around the world to attend the activities planned. Contact your local World RPS Society office for the “Gold package”, which has tickets to all the events offered at a special 5% discount.
|Chad Leatherstep (Co-Chair, Disciplinary Comittee) pledges tougher measures to combat the increase in use of performance enhancing drugs in professional level RPS.|
In other events, Chad Leatherstep (Co-Chair Disciplinary Committee) in his address delivered a landmark speech pledging a crackdown on performance enhancing drugs in professional level play. "It is the worst kept secret that the dressing rooms at many tournaments have become literal ‘hotboxes’ of abuse. We will be targeting specific suspicious players for random drug testing. They should be easy to spot as they tend to spend more time hanging around the vending machine and concession stands than the drug-free players."
Singlis Martok (Vice-Chair Theoretical Throws Committee) was also presented with a Technical Achievement Award for his ten-year long work in discrediting five throws. The crowd voiced their approval by giving him a standing ovation after his speech. "More than anything I want to be remembered for my work finally proving that the throw dynamite is infeasible in our game. The proof is a little on the long side so I won’t bore you with the details right now [laughter]…let’s party!"
|Singlis Martok, (right) Executive Vice-Chair of Theoretical Throws Committee receives a long-overdue Technical Achievement Award for his decade-long work in discrediting five new throws: Well, Water, Fire, Spock, and most notably Dynamite.|